01 January 2007

Happy Holidays!

The last couple weeks, as anyone could imagine, have been pretty nonstop. From working with the last-minute and post-holiday shopping with my seasonal retail jobs, to participating in family holiday festivities, to working on moving preparations, and to meeting with friends that I hadn't seen in ages, I've been crisscrossing Lansing and the state.

Christmas with the fam was fun. After missing all of the family gatherings last year, I was able to attend them all! Plus, I made the quick jaunt to Grand Rapids one evening to see my dad's side of the family, some of whom I hadn't seen in years and all of whom I rarely see. (photos: Josh (secretly excited to drink something better than PBR), Dad, and Uncle Greg; Josh enjoying an old teaball photo of me while Dad finds something even more amusing; my cousin Jake looking mischevious; and Jana and Josh trying to be interested in the holiday classic "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.")






I spent most of Christmas Eve cooking our contributions to dinner the next day, including preparing a yule log (cool historic/traditional symbolism, etc.), pie, and attempting popovers (without finding a satisfactory recipe). After work that night, we joined the cousins at the grandparents' house before returning for more snacks and holiday movies at home. The next day was filled with even more food, presents, Yahtzee, and still more food. Fantastic. (photos: My cousin Logan showing both his muscles and his fabulous array of nibble-worthy snacks; the Professor and my brothers, a bit too early in the morning for the boys; cousins Callie and Allison finishing off their plate of veggies, macaroni and cheese, and roast beast; me and my yule log; and present time!)







With the Chirstmas over, I turned my efforts to getting ready to move. I had to investigate apartments, rental trucks, bank accounts, and all sorts of minutia. I at this point also met with Joe (former Get on the Bus guru) who was in town for a family visit. We had coffee and did our annual chat (that had been sadly delayed since I was overseas last time he was in Michigan), and I realized how dreadfully out of contact I was with all sorts of other friends. My week then suddenly filled with all sorts of food-related rendevouz with people I hadn't seen/talked to in ages. I even made a trip to Ann Arbor for a day, had a Mackinac luncheon reunion. and ate a path through Frankenmuth in a way that only Katie and I could do. We also had a very belated 50th anniversary dinner for my grandparents in Chelsea, during which I was much ridiculed for taking photos of my food. (photos: Cece reacting to a less-than-desired voicemail in Ann Arbor; Cadi's teatime spread complete with Jane Austen chocolate mints: the family at our really big table at the g-unit's 50th anniversary dinner; Gpa making the toast; and my food... mmmmm... tasty...)







(photos: Island crew part I; Island crew part II; part of our Bavarian chicken dinner from the point of view of the chicken; hmmm... looks familiar, if only she was adorned in pretzels; another de-pretzeled pretzel wench, this time by the bathroom (taking the photo of the bathroom entrance drew a few stares); and me and Katie doing our interpretation of shopping on a budget (in other words, taking photos in things we would never buy unless we lived in Alaska).)








As for New Year, it was back more work, chill/game/food time with family, and a variety of events on tv (ranging from bluegrass on PBS to crap on MTV) with my mom at home. This morning, we also went to the inaugaration at the state capitol where various public officials, including the governor, took their oaths of office. Beyond that, the packing frenzy continues until I leave for Virginia on Wednesday! (photo: the Governor (aka Jenny from the Block) taking her oath of office)

No comments: