28 January 2007

No Longer A Vagabond

Yes, it's true. I am proud to confirm that as of Saturday (27 January), I am moved into my apartment and no longer living in a hotel.

Since arriving in Williamsburg, I had been staying at a Ramada, eating far too many microwave dinners, for about three weeks. Now I'm in an one-bedroom apartment with all sorts of room and space. I had some friends from work help me to heft clean all of the heavy furniture before enjoying some relaxing card games and pizza to the soundtrack of bad television. The rest of the weekend was spent organizing and orienting my apartment, which is coming along nicely! (photos: View from the corner in my flat... wall decorations yet to come; and the coolest shower curtain ever.)




Before moving in, the weeks before were mostly filled with work, reading and tv in a hotel room (the joys of waiting for a paycheck...), and more work. I've been doing a LOT of training at work, everything from dealing with terrorism to understanding, 17th century pike drills, and the nuances of John Smith's writings. I have to "clear" all four of the interpretive sites before I can even get into costume, which is not scheduled to happen til March. Needless to say, it's a lot of information and studying, but it's also a lot of fun. The people are fantastic and weird enough to keep things interesting.

Beyond work, I've hung out with friends from work, explored the area, learned the darts game "Cricket," and one weekend visited my former flatmate from London GP in Richmond. Busy enough...

(photos: Historic Jamestowne/Jamestown Island day -- The reconstructed wall at the original site of James Fort (note that the fort is not actually in the river); Pocahontas statue from the early 1900s with horribly inaccurate clothes; view from a corner of James Fort, including the original church tower and some of the mounds of current archaeological digs; running the hidden pine trails; and Jamestown Settlement from Jamestown Island with ships and all (nextdoor neighbors!).)






(photos: Jack playing Cricket at the pub; Scott and Jack having a heart-to-heart after their "contest"; view of the falls and down the James River from GP's fancy law office; GP scaling the wall to break into an historic cemetery; the church where Patrick Henry said his famous "Give me liberty..." speech; and downtown Richmond.)





7 comments:

Cadi said...

I see we are shower curtain buddies--if you haven't yet, check out prince edward isaland (yes, the typo was intentional) in the southern hempisphere....

also, facebook message me and let me know your new address!

Cadi said...

however, the hempishere typo was entirely unintentional.

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

Hey -- cool!!!

I thought I posted a comment, then deleted it. Here it is again:

I was looking for the capitol building in that photo of downtown Richmond -- couldn't see it -- is it there?

Anonymous said...

Stooch!! I see that you called your coworkers 'weird', so I guess they were right ;) So glad you're enjoying it there and I can't wait to see you again! and ps- amazing pictures :D

Anonymous said...

ANYTHING with a map on it has to be truly cool. Seriously. Kudos to you for the great taste in shower curtains!

trace.dominguez said...

is that George Patton Manson III I see?!

amazing.