24 October 2005

France and the Flat

So, since my last post...

* I went to France and got my passport fixed. It was quite the hassle in that I stepped onto the platform to catch the train to Dover as it pulled away, so I had to wait a half hour for the next one. Then, everything was late and the winds were so stron in the English Channel that I didn't get back to London til about 8pm. BUT, when I got there, I met friends Andy and Trace (who had to go to France on Sunday due to similar circumstances) and also met my new friend Kate (fellow BUNAC-er and also staying in and not liking The Generator) who had found a delightful flat that night. Since we'd talked about rooming together, I agreed to check the flat with her the next day (Saturday). We saw it, I liked it, and we moved in that night. (I'll post photos below this post)
The flat's in an area called St. John's Wood (apparently v. posh and including neighbors like Robbie Williams) on Boundary Road (between Loudoun Street and Abbey Road (yes, the same road as the Beatles and just a short walk from the crossing site of the photo on the cover of the album of the same name)), though it's also v. close to Swiss Cottage, Kilbourn High Street, and Camden Town. Kate and I share a room for 80 pounds/week and that price includes all utilities and taxes, as well as free wireless internet to be installed this week. We have a gareden area out behind our building with some nice willow trees. Also, there's a spare bed for guests that might visit for a weekend, though we're using it as a couch for now. As for leaving The Generator (felt like we lived in a stereotypical frat house...), Trace and Andy helped us move our bags to our new flat, which involved some v. strategic maneuvering on the Tube during rush hour. That night while unpacking, we watched our tv with 4 stations, including "Robbie Williams: Live from Berlin" on Saturday night and loved it, especially since he's our neighbor. (photos: my room from the door with my bed on the left, my bed and desk!)


* Sunday morning we went to Camden Market for food and shopping and then tried to locate the Ikea for the necessities lacking at our flat. We got some bad directions and ended up all over the place. Finally, after some walking, busing, a pit stop at an H&M, and more busing and walking, we got to the Ikea. It was a zoo and we tried to make our shopping go as quickly as possible. We made our way back, which took an equally long time, and collapsed from hunger and exhaustion on our spare bed. Kate and I tried to find dinner, which took more wandering before finally settling on a local and v. delicious Thai food place. We then watched a collage of both good and bad tv before turning in. (photos: food stalls at Camden Lock Market, main gate to Camden Market)


* Today we both headed to the BUNAC Office to start looking for jobs. I opened my bank account and bought a mobile phone. When I make my email list (which will be when I get the free wireless at the flat), I'll email out my mailing address and mobile number. After updating the blog, I'm digging in to looking for jobs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H&M??! Hoochie Mama!

Anonymous said...

London, France...je suis tres jaloux. Anyway, good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, I was just blog surfing and found you! Wow, I really like this one.
It’s such a pleasure to read your post …. Interesting! I was over at another site

looking at Bath.

and they didn't go into as much detail as you, but nonetheless interesting.