16 June 2006

Mackinac Update!

So here I am again on Mackinac Island, back for summer #5. As it is apparently part of the charm, the internet here is very sporadic. I can occasionally check my email, but regular access where I can write quality responses and do extensive blogging will probably not be too often. Sorry! (Currently, I'm at a place that has free wireless downtown, but the server is being stupid and not letting me do anything but add text to my blog... no photos, no other websites... majorly sucky right now!) We are indeed working on getting wireless at the house I stay at, but we're working on logistics of that and it may not even happen this summer.

So far the summer's been going well. May was the month of school groups and of MSHP's overnight programs, which went really well. Then came June, the beginning of full season with our historic houses opening again on the Island. Our staff this year is fantastic, with any real drama mostly located outside of the crafty staff. It's been hot, and then cool, and now hot again, so it looks like this summer might be another hot and humid one. We've got mice badly in the Biddle House this year, which has been fun since I'm the one that gets to release them elsewhere on the Island as opposed to us just killing them and having to dispose of their dead bodies. The Lilac Festival is nearly over and soon it'll be the 4th of July, which means that the summer will be quickly over after that. Amazing how quickly it all goes!

Anyway, instead of me babbling on about the weather, etc., things here are indeed well. Now that I've been stationary, the travel bug is back and people are throwing around ideas for trips (not of the multiple-month kind anytime soon) sometime in the future. Hmmm... In the meantime, Jenny, Maria, Katie, and I went camping in Canada over Memorial Day weekend (saw a black bear, a bever, lots of stars, and lots of bugs!), which was great fun minus the bugs. I'll have some photos of that here soon too... I do miss London and Europe, but that was to be expected as well. Otherwise, it's been lots of work, hiking and biking, and searching for a job for the fall (though I'll probably be here til October).

If anyone wants my current contact info that doesn't have it already, please send me an email and let me know.

(photos: Geoff, me, Jenny, and Trace working at the overnights; and Hip, Hip, Huzzah! -- one of our groups of kids at the end of an overnight).)



(photos: Katie, Maria, and Jenny fresh obsessed at the A&P in the Sault; Katie hiking on our way to picnic at Chippewa Falls; at the Canadian Carver trying on hats; coming into the Lake Superior Provincial Park area, complete with big hills and Lake Superior!; Maria, Katie, and Jenny hiding from the bugs while trying to hike; teeter-tottering by the Sugar Island Ferry in Sault, MI; and more tottering.) (Katie's Blog has a few Canada pics, if you'd like to check those out, too!)






No comments: