16 June 2006

Backpacking: Ireland

As the first entry in a series about my backpacking trip, firstly, I appologize for not having done this sooner! It's been a crazy six weeks (or so) since I've been back and I just now have a day off with enough free time to get this done. Hopefully updates throughout the summer won't be as sporadic. Also, if you'd like any more detail, let me know! I'm putting just bits on here since I figure most people just want to see the pictures. I'll have a basic explanation of what I did and when with a few thoughts on that particular part, but most will be photos.


Mar 12: UK to Ireland - Trace, Steph, & Anna leave London Stanstead for Dublin, arriving early afternoon. Find hostel, wander around, visit pub with live music.
13: Dublin to Kilkenny - Leave on Shamrocker tour 08.15am; Glendalough, Kildare, Rock of Dunamase, Kilkenny
14: Kilkenny to Killarney – Rock of Cashel, Blarney Stone, Cork, Killarney
15: Killarney to Doolin - fishing villages, Dingle Peninsula (beach picnic, hikey hikey to the “End of the Earth”), Doolin (dinner and music at teeny town)
16: Doolin to Galway – Doolin, Cliffs of Moher, Burren landscape, Pol na Brone Dolmen tomb, Galway
17: Galway - St. Patrick’s Day in Galway (parade, pubs, food)
18: Galway to Dublin to UK - Clonmacnoise, Whiskey distillery, Hill of Tara; return to Dublin in evening, but fly out to London later after wandering and watching rugby finals.

I found Ireland to be just as enchanting as everyone says it is. I had high expectations after hearing stories from friends that had visited, and was honestly a bit confused about all of the hype at first. However, I realized that the charm of Ireland was its unassuming charm and beauty, in its landscape, people, and culture. We passed through mountains and valleys, though some of the most breathtaking scenery was in the Dingle Peninsula. There, sheep roamed along the cliffs and rambling stone walls with the ocean crashing a hundred feet below. Our day on the Dingle was warm, sunny, and overall fantastic. We made lots of friends on our tour, which was mostly Americans and Aussies, with a few Canadians, South Africans, and Brits. Our guide, Jerome, was fun, knowledgeable, and passionate about his country’s history and landscape, though he did introduce us to the genius song “Where’s Me Jumper” by the Sultans of Ping FC. I was very impressed by the country and its extremely friendly people. I did feel like I didn’t see anywhere near enough of Ireland, though I plan on returning (as became the pattern for many of the places on this backpacking tour…).

(photos: Anna and Trace in Dublin; The Liffey at night; my first Irish Guiness; Glendalough; typical Irish food (and one of many food photos from the trip...); daily putting-on-the-backpack dance; me in Kikenny; typical Irish landscape from the Rock of Cashel; the Rock of Cashel (an old abandonned Cathedral); and a Celtic cross)












(photos: Me at Blarney Castle; kissing the Blarney Stone; group photo; Dingle view 1; Dingle view 2; Dingle coastline near our picnic spot; fun sign with an interesting amount for a fine; Anna and I at the Cliffs of Moher; the Burren (unique limestone ecosystem); Galway; group photo on St. Patty's; and a marching band, Irish style in the St. Patty's Day parade)











1 comment:

KC said...

Hi Steph,

My name is KC Owens, I’m a college student and I love to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. I have been to countries all over Europe with just my backpack and a camera. Since I am a college student and I have significant bills, it can be difficult to find ways to travel the world. However, I have done this several times, with less than ten pounds of luggage and while on a college dime!

I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my tips and tricks with your readers. I put a lot of time into my traveling, it is my biggest passion and I would love to inspire others by sharing my stories, mistakes and triumphs. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

KC Owens